Friday 24 April 2015

His Other Life by Beth Thomas


Synopsis
The story of a couple with seemingly perfect lives…and the secrets they hide behind closed doors.

He was hiding a terrible secret...

Grace’s new husband Adam seems like the perfect package. Good looking, great job, completely charming – almost too good to be true...

So when Adam suddenly disappears from Grace’s life, she is left bewildered and heartbroken. And with a lot of unanswered questions.

As she tries desperately to find him, Grace opens a Pandora’s Box of secrets and lies – and starts to learn that Adam wasn’t so perfect after all.

What shameful secrets was her husband hiding? Is Grace in danger? And can she survive the truth? However terrible it may be . . .

Review
I've not read a book by Beth Thomas before, but the cover was pretty and just the title showed that this would be a perfect choice for my week of deceit.

I have a habit of reading the synopsis, liking what I read and then completely forgetting it when it comes to reading the book, so I'm often surprised by the book, which is great, especially when it comes to this book! I was expecting it to be a tale of Adam cheating (bigamy also crossed my mind in the first chapter or so) and Grace's journey on getting over her hurt, but it is completely different to my expectations, in a good way. There is so much more to this book than I thought there would be and had me intrigued to get to the bottom of what was happening.

Pretty much from the get go you that Adam is selfish and controlling, meaning you feel such sympathy for Grace, who is so sweet but unbelievably naive about life and also around Adam. She knew nothing about him whatsoever, and I don't know if I would marry a man like that. This is because she couldn't believe he was with her, thinking he was too good for her, because of this she was manipulated and made to feel stupid. At times I just wanted to shout at her for not caring why Adam revealed no personal information and willed the clock to turn back so she could use the strength she found during the book so she could stick up for herself when Adam was still around. 

One thing I wondered about Grace, in the first chapter she is so paranoid about a text message Adam recieves, and while it was probably because she knew so little of Adam and some intuition, it would have been nice to know exactly why she was so paranoid about something as normal as receiving a text, had she been suspicious of text messages he received before this, any suspicions of affairs or such?! I dont know and I want to!

I really liked Grace's best friend Ginger, she was funny and bubble, and her brother Matt was also lovely, genuinely kind. The best thing was when he kept speaking to Grace and putting his foot in it, absolutely hilarious, especially about going to uni and studying the art of it, one of my favourite scenes in the book.

This book had me hooked until the end, desperate to find out exactly what happened to Adam, and what he was hiding. I also enjoyed watching Grace develop as a person. At first she seemed like she would be quite dependant on people, but having Adam disappear really lit a fire within her and it was great to see.



Order on Amazon now!

Published by: HarperCollins UK, Avon

Gratefully received from the Publisher for review.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...