Friday 20 June 2014

A Proper Family Holiday by Chrissie Manby

Synopsis
Could you survive a week-long holiday with your entire family?

Newly single magazine journalist Chelsea Benson can't think of anything worse.

Your grubby small nephew torpedoing any chance of romance with the dishy guy you met on the plane . . .
Your eighty-five-year-old granddad chatting up ladies at the hotel bar . . .
Getting nothing but sarcastic comments from your older sister, who's always been the family favourite . . .
And all this is before your parents drop their bombshell.

Is a week enough time for the Bensons to put their differences aside and have some fun? Or is this their last ever proper family holiday?


Review
OMG! Where do I even start with this? I have loved Chrissie Manby’s book ever since I read Deep Heat ages ago. Her last book ‘What I did on my holidays’ was amazing, and was published in 2012, so I had a looooong wait till this one was published and it was so worth the wait! This book is such a great read, you instantly get absorbed into the story, and with Chrissie’s descriptive writing you can perfectly imagine Hotel Volcan and Playa Bravas.

The Benson Family are your typical working class family and they are wonderful. All individual and easy to relate to. I think Chelsea was my favourite Benson, she seemed really misunderstood. Everyone seemed to think that she thought she was better than everyone else, but inside she had struggles of her own. I really loved her story with Jack and how they became close, 2 unlikely allies! Jack himself was hilarious, absolutely adored him!

I felt really sorry for Ronnie, she has a lot on her plate with money troubles and other family issues, and you can really see it all get on top of her. I was wishing she gave her sister some slack though, She resented Chelsea, though it was understandable why she reacted like that, it must have been hard seeing our sister live (in Ronnie’s view) a more successful life free of worry and responsibility.

The whole book was absolutely brilliant, the main storyline was really happy, but had some touching moments too, the scene between Jack and Chelsea on their last night sharing a room bought a tear to my eye! On the other hand one of the side stories, Bill and Gloria was hilarious, their final scene meeting the whole family was so funny, one of the most memorable moments in the book, and definitely the funniest.

I’ve seen a few book bloggers comment that this was Chrissie’s best yet. I had my doubts, surely nothing could topple ‘What I did on my holidays’ from the top? However, I was happily proven completely wrong, this really is the best yet and I cannot wait till the Christmas installment (2 books in 1 year, a real treat!). This book is simply fabulous!


Order on Amazon now!

Published by: 
Hodder & Stoughton
Gratefully received from the Publisher for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...