Friday 6 November 2015

Our Song by Dani Atkins



This week for my 'Friday First', I am reviewing Dani Atkin's Book 'Our Song' which isn't out till January but I was lucky enough to receive a copy early, and I'm so glad I did.

Synopsis


The stunning new emotional drama from ebook phenomenon Dani Atkins, author of Fractured - perfect for fans of Jojo Moyes and Dorothy Koomson.

This is the story of Ally and Charlotte, whose paths have intersected over the years though they've never really been close friends. Charlotte married Ally's ex and first true love, David. Fate is about to bring them together one last, dramatic time and change their lives forever.

Full of Dani's signature warmth and emotion, this is a gripping and emotional family drama. With breath-taking plot twists, Dani explores themes of serendipity, friendship and love. She fully engages the reader in the dilemmas faced by her characters. What would you do if your husband was the love of somebody else's life? And when faced with an agonising decision, could you put the past behind you and do the right thing?

Review


I haven’t read any of Dani Atkins’ books before, but from what I’ve heard of them, I was expecting an emotional, touching story, and that’s exactly what you get with this book.

I snuck a look at the first two pages when I received it and was awestruck and couldn’t wait to start it. Once I had started it, it was hard to put it down and once started had an epic reading session reading alot of it ending at 2am, then as I woke up, I started reading the last third of the book, which felt like someone had ripped my heart out. It completely just broke my heart in a way that hasn’t been done since ‘The Memory Book’ and ‘Me Before You’.

The writing is beautiful and you are sucked into Ally and Charlotte's lives with ease. Dani captures their emotions and situation wonderfully. You hear from them in the past when Ally and Charlotte first meet when Ally is dating her housemate at Uni, David. They were never close but they are thrown back together under less than happy circumstances, where either of them are barely keeping it together, even without the added complications of seeing each other again after 8 years, you can feel the tension between them.

I adored Ally, she was so sensitive, but other than the intensity when they were first dating, I don’t think she was well suited to David on an outsider’s perspective, though as they say, opposites attract and that was certainly the case here, she obviously loved him with everything she had. After her split from David, I loved reading about her friendship with Joe, who I much preferred over David.
Charlotte, compared to Ally seemed much more confident and sure of herself. At times a bit cold even. I didn’t dislike her but felt connected more to Ally throughout most of the book, especially in the past. When in the present she was much easier to like, especially when she buys a second cup of coffee. A small gesture, but showed some real warmth to her.

This book is definitely a contender for my favourite book of the year, it’s tragic yet heartwarming. The last hundred or so pages need a pack of tissues built into them, that’s for sure. While it is really sad, there are moments you find yourself smiling, sometimes because it’s funny or more often someone says or does something that is poignant and touching and it makes you think and want to grasp life as it comes. This book is one of the ones that hits you hard, simply stunning!





Released on 14th January 2016
Pre-order on Amazon now!

Published by: Simon & Schuster
Gratefully received from the Publisher for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...