Monday 10 March 2014

Mischief and Magnolias by Marie Patrick

Synopsis
In 1863, Natchez, Mississippi, peacefully surrendered to the Union Army—but not everyone surrendered peacefully, especially not Shaelyn Cavanaugh. With both her brother and her intended off to war, her home, Magnolia House, and her beloved steamboats are taken over by Major Harte and his small contingent of men. Shae will use every mischievous weapon at her disposal to show Major Harte he has chosen unwisely. She begins by putting vinegar in his coffee.

Review
This is not a genre I normally go for, I love romance, but more on the chick-lit side of things, never really a straight forward romance, or in this case a historical romance. That being said I love to try new genres, so I looked forward to reading this book.

Set in 1863, during the American Civil War, we join the Shaelyn and Brenna Cavanaugh in the town of Natchez, Mississippi. Due to the war, they are having to loan the use of their house and business to the Union, with no say in the matter.

To start with, I didn't really like Shaelyn, I thought she was spoilt and not very tolerant, her actions seemed more childish than a normal angry reaction for someone of her age, but her behaviour is understandable given what she and her family had gone through. However, Shaelyn’s mum, Brenna had a lot of patience and understanding, maybe Shaelyn got her stubbornness from her father.

The other supporting cast, and obviously the male lead, were all wonderfully likeable. I was very surprised with the amount of action towards the end of the book, while I had guessed the basic plot points, I expected it to be dealt with in a similar way and setting as the beginning of the book, so it was a very welcome surprise, it was great getting to see some ‘Girl Power’, which I can’t imagine was very common in 1863! It bought a slight modern twist to the book.

Overall, a good tale, with a great big slushy ending, that warmed my heart.



Published by: F+W Media/Adams

Received from the Publisher with thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...